Wednesday, July 15, 2009

New Lampwork Necklaces, One for me One for Etsy





I just finished two new pieces, one for me and one designated for my Etsy store. The necklace I made for myself was built on the foundation of an absolutely lovely set of beads I knew I had to have,the first time I visited April's Etsy shop. I'm really happy with it too. The lampwork beads are so detailed and elegant that they need little else in the way of embellisments. You will see that this evident in the following photos. The one with the S links in mine with the cool little dots of fine silver adorning both the focal and two of the other beads.
The second necklace which I plan to list soon, was planned around the lovely green tinted lampwork beads sporting facinating depth in the plunged circles with the little entrapped bubbles. I love that effect which is seen in encased florals as well. This necklace was designed for everyday wear or more formal wear. It's simple enough to look great with denim but would also look great in an office setting.
I love the black crystals with the lovely lampwork, one of the few times I felt I could include crystals in the necklace portion without it fighting with the exquisite detail on the beads, and it worked. I may add a couple more little decorations near the pendant portion before I list it that's why I'm waiting until tomorrow to make sure I'm totally happy with it as it is. The beads are from Sharpline Designs, the name of April's shop. I just couldn't wait to take the shots and post my results so far. I forgot to shoot the copper prototype I had created, but it is quite busy, takes yards of sterling silver and might be too much for the beads.

Another thing I found out just lately is that seven feet of silver doesn't make a very long chainmaille piece, as in the project I had described in a previous post. I got another one and a half inch link and saw immediately that I would have to make quite a few more rings to complete just one other length like the first one. Wow lots of silver. But I probably will go for it eventually because the weight, drape, shine, and feel are totally elegant and I want one. A heavy silver choker. Then I'll make one to sell sometime. These take many hours to construct so a necklace of sterling in chainmaille like that would command a premium price. The thing I love about the pieces I create is that they are all made of very good to excellent materials, and won't wear out, fall apart, or irritate the skin. I have sensitive skin, (like all redheads) and get a rash from any cheap metal. I can wear copper, therefore I sell it with a clear conscience. The photos above show both necklaces as they are right now.

No comments: