Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Chainmaille Lessons, to me and Some Garden Shots





I discovered how to weave chainmaille from a book called "Making Silver Chains" by Glen F. Waszek, which was a Christmas gift from a loving supporter of my craft. The book shows the weaves but calls them by different names than used in the chainmaille community. The chain he calls "Idiot's Delight" is actually two different styles of chainmaille, "Box Link" (I think) and Byzantine link which I know for sure. I'm working on a silver box link chain using 3mm ID jump rings which I cut from 20 gage sterling silver with a jewelr's saw. The box in the photo shows how many 3mm inside diameter jump rings I got from (saw) cutting and coiling about 7 feet of 20 gage silver. I love sterling silver and want to progress to mostly sterling in my chainmaille. It's so worth it in my opinion.

Another quick tangent. I've been looking after my gardens, tying tomatoes. They're finally growing quite well. I saw my first little beefsteak one and showed shots of it and my black plum paste, an heirloom cultivar that I got as a plant one year from my friend and neighbour, and now grow from seed every year. A vigorous plant that actually self seeds here and bears fruit!! A tomato that grows literally like a weed. The fruit is dark purple shot with red and is sweet and meaty. Prolific producers too. I love them!


No comments: