Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Evidence that the vintage jewelry was hand made





While looking over the box of treasures bestowed upon me , to redesign for ChiChi I discovered many instances of evidence that these pieces were also hand made. I was amazed at the workmanship and wondered about the creators of these pieces. Who were they? Did they work in a jewelry factory? Where were these pieces made? I went and like the nerd that I am looked for a book on vintage jewelry. Now I want to find out the history of jewelry-making, particularly 20th century, and late 19th century. My search for a really good reference was unsuccessful but I did find a magazine on vintage jewelry, restoration of it, and a bunch of ideas to supplement the ones I already had for the old imitation pearl strands. Here are some close-ups showing hand-made characteristics of old pieces.
The eyelet chain in the top photo is one that I have been learning just lately from a book. I was amazed to see it here on this necklace. It was done so neatly but the string finishing it up reminds me of the way I finished some of my early jewelry creations.
I was happy to find lots of evidence of copper and brass in vintage work. Much as I adore silver, the cost is a killer compared to copper and brass. I love copper too and brass also has a beauty to it. I even saw copper and crystals combined in restoration pieces. I may try some copper in combination with some of the blue crystals, but I know silver and blue will also meet in a joyful union of silver and crystal. My mind is dizzy with the possibilities.
Oh yes, I must include the findings that materialized when I took apart some of the old necklaces. The detail is amazing and I found that they combine in an amazing way with the old crystals.

No comments: