Tuesday, October 13, 2009

More Fun With Color



I've been on a drawing kick lately and have been experimenting with many different ways to apply color. In the photos above, I've used everything from India ink and pen (the old fashioned nib right out of the late 1800's), colored pencils both watercolor and standard. Soft pastels are also great for background and in the one I called "In the Gloaming" the pastel background has a luminous effect in real life. The scanner does a poor job of capturing the color exactly but we get the general idea. The creatures in "In the Gloaming" are not named yet and only appear at dusk in this magical land.
The "Kitty in the Garden" is mainly in watercolor pencils and pen and ink highlights. I did use some acrylic craft paint for the flowers too, because of the opacity and it seems to work well too.
I've always loved the word "gloaming" and in the perspective sunset with the strange creatures, I had the perfect excuse to finally use it.
The titles are self evident. Hope you enjoy my latest fun with color, and how to apply it.

No comments: